Friday, December 15, 2017

Present simple & continuous / action and non-action verbs. Listening 1.1





a. Listen to Rumiko answering questions 2-6 from the interviews.
Do you think food for her is fuel or pleasure? Why?

b. Listen again and answer the questions.
1 What does she usually have in the morning?
2 Where does she usually have lunch and dinner?
3 Why doesn’t she often cook?
4 Does she eat or drink anything unhealthy?
5 Is she cutting down on anything at the moment? Why (not)?
6 What’s happening to the Japanese diet at the moment?
7 Does she think this is a completely bad thing?

Interviewer: Rumiko, what do you eat on a typical day?
Rumiko: I don’t usually have breakfast because I can’t get up early enough to eat! I normally just buy a coffee and drink it in the office. I usually have lunch in a restaurant near the office with people from work. When I was younger I used to go to fast-food restaurants and have pizza or fried chicken and chips. Now I prefer eating something healthier, so I go to sushi restaurants or restaurants which serve organic food. And for dinner I eat out a lot, too.
Interviewer: Do you ever cook?
Rumiko: Well, I like cooking but I work very late every day and also my kitchen’s too small. My boyfriend’s a better cook anyway.
Interviewer: Do you ever eat unhealthy food?
Rumiko: Well, I don’t eat a lot of sweet things but I drink a lot of coffee every day. I think I’m addicted to caffeine.
Interviewer: Are you trying to cut down on anything at the moment?
Rumiko: No. I do eat healthily and I exercise regularly, so I don’t think I need to cut down on food.
Interviewer: Are people’ diets in your country getting better or worse?
Rumiko: Oh, probably worse. I think the diet in Japan today is much more westernized than before and that’s why some people are getting fatter. But personally, I like the fact that there are more different kinds of food and restaurants now. I enjoy the variety, it makes eating out much more fun.